Αναζήτηση αυτού του ιστολογίου

Παρασκευή 20 Μαΐου 2011

Immigrant (riding the bus home)

There I am riding the bus from the centre of Athens
It is a lovely day
Summer was late this year.
I want so much to feel good.

This morning
three in number
stubbed a man over a camera he was carrying to film the birth of his child.
The media vultures splashed it on tv screens all over the country.

They said they were Arabs
They said they were north Africans
Now hooded kids with machetes chase whoever fits the colour
on the streets.
A Bangladeshi kid hiding in a bin was stabbed to death.
Most of the foreigners have no papers and they don’t go to hospital
They sleep on their wounds
in abandoned houses,
on floors crawling with roaches, mice, lice and all kinds of shit.

The locals call for more policing but not against the hoods.

Five blocks north the hooded lifestyle anarchist dwells in micropolitics
They want direct democracy, no governance and less policing.
Three coppers beat seven living shades of someone’s life.
Protesters retaliate breaking shop windows, burning police cars and vandalising banks.

The locals call for more policing against the hoods.

Fuck this, the world’s gone mad.
But some will say this is cliché
Some will say I say this to provoke,
some say that political poems are crap and mean nothing
well fuck that too.
I don’t give a flying monkey’s for what they think.
This is not about me.

I only write what I see trying to get home from the centre
I apologise if I cannot do it differently
Forgive my ineptness
I have no new method to present it.

This is about me.

Being a foreigner you are always a second class citizen.
Being unemployed at home you are a second class citizen
I am damned if I go. Damned if I stay.
Everybody around my age group wants to go.
I am broke,
she is pregnant.
We scrape a living,
she smiles,
she is hopeful.
I am thankful for that.
She asks me to join her on the balcony to watch the kids playing on the streets.
Silly me does not
I argue with someone on the net.
I stopped
I hacked the connection from the flat upstairs and the signal comes on and off.
It’s on.
I argue again about unimportant things
I am affected by that too
I don’t sleep well
One more thing to think about and prevent me from sleeping well
At least this one will go away soon
It is temporal.
Like a brothel, acting the thespians, touring the countryside.

The world calls for beautiful imagery,
disguise the suffering,
with something
like a pretty image in hell
dunno, maybe a girl’s laughter in absolute darkness.

That might do it.

I go back on the bus
Two guys in front of me talk about last century,
Argentina,
They saw the same thing happening before
on some place else,
we are repeating the same shit
all over the place
Such a human trait that is

I fall asleep on the bus guarding my empty wallet.
Then the swallows come
we chase them out
burn their nests
and wear their wings on our heads.

1 σχόλιο:

  1. As a Greek Canadian, watching the news and what is going on in Greece, I so much enjoyed your poem and the intimate peek into your life. Fantastic poem and yes, we need more poetry!!

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή